Sunday, March 2, 2008

Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition Green Tea Ice Cream - It doesn't get better than this!

I love green tea ice cream of all kinds, purchased in containers at stores, served in a dish at a restaurant, inside mochi balls and other Asian desserts, etc. However, in normal chain grocery stores, it is a rare sight to see green tea ice cream at all. I had come across the Dreyer's Grand Green Tea ice cream in Orange County, CA a couple years ago and it did the trick when satisfying a craving for green tea ice cream, but the tea flavor was very overpowering...to the point that it didn't even taste much like green tea, which tends to have a milder subtle fresh tea taste. After coming back to the Chicagoland area in IL, I had yet to find green tea in regular grocery stores and had resorting to buying them from Chinatown. These are usually decent in flavor, but the quality is typically comparable to cheaper ice creams...i.e. more air, less dense.

Fast forward to yesterday, March 1, 2008. I go into my neighborhood Dominick's (part of the Safeway brand - Vons, Pavilions, etc.) and saw a Limited Edition Haagen-Dazs Green Tea ice cream. There were only two left, so I got them both. OMG, it was hands down the BEST green tea ice cream I have ever tasted. Made as a super-premium ice cream, it was very smooth, dense, and creamy. The green tea flavor was mild, but definitely present. I am in LOVE! Since it is a Limited Edition, I hope that my local grocery store will get restocked with this soon because I will be truly sadden if I wasn't able to buy more when I finish my two containers.

No comments: