Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nobori Sushi...Wow, Wow, and Wow!

So as you can see, I have not been too diligent in updating this blog. However, there has been a recent sushi experience that has prompted me to dine there twice in one week AND write to tell the world about it.

Nobori Sushi Restaurant
1821 Waukegan Road
Glenview, IL 60025
Tel: (847) 729-0422
http://www.noborisushi.com/

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this place to me before??? I've been craving sushi lately, but to my dismay, I haven't had much luck in finding a great sushi place that is also reasonably priced. The two seemed to be mutually exclusive. I have recently had a couple mishaps with sushi...Benihana in Wheeling and Wildfish in Deerfield...Let's just say that if you don't have anything good to say, then you shouldn't say anything at all. So I've all but given up hope, and was just browsing online to see if I could find a sushi restaurant coupon just to satisfy my sushi urge. Came across Nobori Sushi and it was relatively close to work, browsed menu online, seemed decent. Off I go.

SIMPLY AMAZING.

The restaurant is rather small and definitely not "trendy," but it is perfect for couples and small families. I have read that the owner is usually the main server in the restaurant and he is friendly and attentive. The fish is as fresh as can be and just absolutely delicious. And the sushi chefs know exactly the perfect ratio of rice to fish. This place is so great that I went for the first time on Monday this week, and went again on Saturday.

Here are some pointers that I have learned on this magical sushi journey. Don't order any of the sushi dinner combos as you cannot substitute the items. And skip the California roll. One option is to just order straight off their sushi menu. $5 for most traditional maki, $6.50 for most inside out rolls. They also have special rolls, but those range from $15 to $17! Ouch. You may also custom create a roll that is not listed on their sushi roll sheet, but expect to pay a premium. Also, they have soy paper, so if you are someone that can't or wont eat seaweed, that's a great option for you to enjoy sushi without the seaweed. Another option is to order their $9.95 anytime special that is posted on a flyer in the restaurant. You cannot use a coupon with the special, but the special is a very good deal in and of itself. You get a choice of soup or salad, then choose a roll and 4 nigiri sushi from a special selection, which is quite expansive. The savings over ordering a la cart is approximately $6.50. That's about 40% off.

So as you can see, I think this place is just super. Keep up the great work Mr. Nakamura!

No comments: